Monday, January 15, 2024

January 9 Meeting Notes

 A fair amount of people braved the snow and cold today.  It's always worth it to get together in club fellowship.

Announcements

Cards to send to our outbound exchange student, Pearl Spurrell, were given out today.  Pearl is doing very well in Belgium.  Here is an excerpt from her latest email:

Hello!

Yes, I have received some cards from Sunrise members, thank you so much! I have been waiting for a time where I can go into town and buy stationary to respond, but things still have not settled down. I don't think I have had more than one or two weekends with nothing to do since I've gotten here. Definitely not a bad thing though, I feel like I am really getting to explore the country and know it well since it is so small and traveling is so easy with the public transportation system here. 

Switching families was difficult because I really loved my last family and there were definitely tears all around, but I was lucky because I already knew my second host family very well and I really like them. My host sister now is the same age as me and goes to the same school and we get along really well. We are definitely already good friends. The whole family has made a big effort to make me feel at home which is really sweet. The little adjustments are definitely weird though. Like when I'm looking for something I will go for the drawer or cupboard that is similar to where things were stored in my last house, but here it will be in a completely different room. But, I think I'm settling in really well.

These last months have been really incredible. Like I mentioned, I've gotten to explore a lot of Belgium, but I also got to go to Paris which was just absolutely incredible, as well as the Netherlands and Germany. Although, the Netherlands are slightly less impressive because at my last house I lived ten minutes away driving, and at my next house I'm only five minutes away by bike. I think I also have the opportunities to go to Spain next month and Greece in April which I am so excited for. I've become really good at taking trains and buses so traveling is super easy. I like to meet up with other exchange students on the weekends so we can find a new city to explore together. There is a really small group of inbounds in my district, I think we are just 12 or 13 girls, so we're all really close. 

Time is definitely passing really fast! I feel like I really am learning so much about myself and the world around me. I'm so grateful for this experience.

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Pearl Spurrell 

Wayne said we have at least 10 signed up for Life Flight, so the cost is only $75 per family.  You can get Wayne a check.  If you still want to enroll, he can get you an application form.

The WHS American Sign Language Club is selling hockey tickets ($13) and doing the chuck-a-puck sales.  Contact Earl if you would like to buy tickets.  His daughter Lucy is in the ASL club.

Road Apple Roulette ticket will be here soon.  Next week will be the kick off.  Carol will be on hand to share some tips on how to effectively get people to buy tickets.

Wayne took on a quick Sergeant-at-Arms role to fine Alan $10 for being on NCW Life.

Learke (our inbound exchange student) gave an update on her activities.  She is in a child development class at WHS, and had to look after an electronic baby for the weekend.  She got some strange looks when she took it around with her.

Alan announced that our 2nd Tuesday of the month social would take place at Helbent Taproom at 5:00.

We had a Board meeting last Monday.  They are every 2nd Tuesday at 7:00am at Cashmere Valley Bank on Maple St.  Anyone is welcome to attend any of the meetings.

Brags & Confessions

Craig confessed he is depressed about the Huskies loss to Michigan, but enjoyed watching them play for the national championship.

Kevin's daughter and her family from Boise were her for Christmas.  Kevin and Lynn had fun with the 2 small grandkids.  Lynn is now in Hawaii with some of her high school girlfriends.

Kathleen is leaving for Seattle, and then to Delaware to care for her mom.

Alan and Kelly are headed to warmer places for two weeks.

Program

Emma Crowe, one of our newest members, gave her classification talk.





Click the link to see Emma's presentation.

After Notes

Milt couldn't select the winning marble after his raffle ticket was drawn.  Pot next week will be around $300.

The meeting ended with a joke from Bill, and one from Carl.  We are becoming a funny club.



No comments:

Post a Comment

April 30 Meeting Notes

The meeting was opened by President Craig Reese. Our visitor today was Sally Feil, Dan’s wife.   Announcements   The presidential change...